Vegetable Soup with Pistou
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes (about 1 pint)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15-ounce) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cut green beans (about 8 ounces)
To prepare pistou, combine 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 garlic cloves in a food processor; process until minced. Add basil; process until finely chopped. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and lemon juice, process until blended. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 400°.
To prepare soup, combine tomatoes, 2 teaspoons garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; toss well. Coat a foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Spoon tomato mixture onto baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Set aside.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add 4 teaspoons garlic and onions. Sauté 10 minutes, stirring frequently; add remaining 1/8 teaspoons of salt and pepper. Add sweet potato, carrots, thyme, and bay leaf; sauté 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add white beans; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, water, and green beans; simmer 15 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Stir in pistou and tomato mixture.
This version of the classic French soup is loaded with vegetables, including white beans--a perfect replacement for meat in the Willett plan.
- Yield: serves 6 (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
|Calories per serving:||301|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||30%|
|Fat per serving:||10.5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6.7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.1g|
|Protein per serving:||11.5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||44g|
|Fiber per serving:||9.7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||2mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||786mg|
|Calcium per serving:||116mg|