Black Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups chopped onion (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can 99% fat-free vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 1 large)
Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt; cook 10 minutes or until onion is soft. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove 1 chile from can and mince; repeat as needed to equal 1 tablespoon. Reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use.
Add minced chile and next 5 ingredients (through tomatoes). Reduce heat to low; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Reserve 4 cups for the Black Bean Enchiladas.
Set aside leftover chili to use in Black Bean Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce.
- Yield: serves 4 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||242|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||15%|
|Fat per serving:||4.2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||12g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||40g|
|Fiber per serving:||12.6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||4.9mg|
|Sodium per serving:||946mg|
|Calcium per serving:||117mg|