Sausage, Bell Pepper, and Onion Lasagna
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 5 cups thinly sliced onion (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (3.5-ounce) links sweet Italian turkey sausage
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/4 cups prepared fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce (such as Millina's Finest)
- 6 (7 x 3 1/2-inch) no-boil lasagna noodles (such as Vigo)
- 6 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper; cover and cook 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper; sauté 10 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat. Stir in onion mixture and salt. Reserve half for Italian Sausage Sandwiches.
Cook sausage links according to package directions. Reserve 4 links for Sandwiches. Chop remaining 4 links.
Spread 3/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 noodles over pasta sauce. Sprinkle half of the cream cheese over the noodles; top with 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1 cup onion-pepper mixture, and half of the chopped sausage. Repeat layers, ending with sausage. Top with remaining lasagna noodles; spread remaining pasta sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
Cover dish with foil, tenting to prevent foil from touching top layer. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1/6 of whole)
The onion-pepper mixture and sausage in this recipe are used in the Italian Sausage Sandwiches.
This recipe goes with Italian Sausage Sandwiches
|Calories per serving:||357|
|Calories from fat:||32%|
|Fat per serving:||13g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4.6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4.5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3.4g|
|Protein per serving:||26.5g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||34.5g|
|Fiber per serving:||4.8g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||55mg|
|Iron per serving:||3.3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||743mg|
|Calcium per serving:||275mg|