Bulgur with Roasted Eggplant and Peppers
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons and 1/4 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup coarsely ground uncooked bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 450°.
Place eggplant in a colander. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Combine eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl; toss well. Spread eggplant mixture evenly in a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
Remove white, papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Cut off top 1/4 inch of garlic head using a serrated knife; discard top. Rub 1/4 teaspoon oil over bottom portion of garlic head. Add garlic head, cut side up, to eggplant mixture. Bake at 450° for 40 minutes or until vegetables are browned, stirring occasionally.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cumin, turmeric, ginger, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in bulgur; cover, reduce heat, and simmer over medium-low heat 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Remove garlic from eggplant mixture. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Stir garlic pulp, eggplant mixture, parsley, and lemon juice into bulgur mixture.
- Yield: serves 4 (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||300|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||25%|
|Fat per serving:||9.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||9.5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||50.6g|
|Fiber per serving:||13.1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||2mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.5mg|
|Sodium per serving:||511mg|
|Calcium per serving:||80mg|