Tuscan Wheat-Berry Soup with White Beans
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wheat berries or spelt
- 4 cups water
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 (15.75-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Soak wheat berries in water for 3 hours; drain.
Place celery, garlic, onion, and carrot in a food processor; process until vegetables are finely chopped.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture; sauté 15 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in rosemary and tomatoes. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
Place wine and 1 can beans in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add bean mixture to vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Stir in wheat berries; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until wheat berries are tender-crunchy. Stir in salt, pepper, and remaining can of beans. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||251|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||24%|
|Fat per serving:||7.2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.6g|
|Protein per serving:||9.4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||37.4g|
|Fiber per serving:||3.2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||4mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.5mg|
|Sodium per serving:||501mg|
|Calcium per serving:||66mg|