Spicy Jerk Chicken
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered (about 1/2 pound)
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned (about 3 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Pickapeppa sauce, optional
- 4 lime wedges
Combine first 5 ingredients (thyme through chiles) in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Remove 1/4 cup of the chile mixture and set aside. Add lime juice to food processor; process until smooth.
Arrange chicken in a large shallow dish. Spread lime juice mixture over chicken. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 4 hours.
Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 15 minutes on each side or until done.
While chicken broils, prepare rice mixture. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add reserved 1/4 cup chile mixture; saute 2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in sweet potato; cook 10 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Drizzle with Pickapeppa sauce, if desired. Garnish with lime wedges.
Note: Made from cane vinegar aged in oak barrels, Pickapeppa sauce is a sweet and sour, mild hot-pepper sauce from Jamaica.
- Yield: serves 4 (serving size: 2 chicken thighs, 1 1/3 cups rice mixture, and 1 tablespoon sauce)
|Calories per serving:||468|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||15%|
|Fat per serving:||8.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.7g|
|Protein per serving:||37.3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||63.1g|
|Fiber per serving:||8.1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||121mg|
|Iron per serving:||3.9mg|
|Sodium per serving:||731mg|
|Calcium per serving:||96mg|