Black-Bottom Ice Cream Torte with Warm Chocolate Sauce
- 1/2 cup finely crushed chocolate wafers (about 12 wafers)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon egg white, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 6 cups vanilla reduced-fat ice cream (such as Healthy Choice), divided
- 3 cups raspberry sherbet or sorbet
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate minichips
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Raspberries (optional)
- Mint sprigs (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare crust, combine crushed wafers, 1 tablespoon sugar, and egg white in a bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Press into bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
Spoon 3 cups ice cream into cooled crust, spreading evenly. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze until firm. Repeat process with sherbet; freeze again until firm. Spread remaining 3 cups ice cream over sherbet; sprinkle with minichips. Freeze overnight or until firm.
To prepare sauce, combine water, 1 cup sugar, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce to low and simmer until slightly thick (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in grated chocolate and cocoa; whisk until smooth. Stir in evaporated milk and vanilla.
Make sure torte is thoroughly frozen before slicing. Spoon about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce over each slice of torte. Top with raspberries and mint sprigs, if desired.
Divvy the labor: Adults mix batter for crust and bake; make chocolate sauce. Kids help layer softened ice cream and sherbet into pan; sprinkle minichips on top.
- Yield: serves 16 (serving size: 1 wedge and 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
|Calories per serving:||262|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||14%|
|Fat per serving:||4.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.1g|
|Protein per serving:||3.7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||54g|
|Fiber per serving:||1.4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||7mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.5mg|
|Sodium per serving:||108mg|
|Calcium per serving:||110mg|