Italian Potato Torta
- 6 cups cubed peeled baking potato (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced Italian-style tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
Preheat oven to 450°.
Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan; add flour, oil, salt, and egg. Mash potato mixture with a potato masher until smooth.
Spread potato mixture into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Combine seasoning, garlic, and tomatoes; spread evenly over potato mixture. Combine cheeses, and sprinkle over tomato mixture. Bake at 450° for 25 minutes or until golden. Let stand 20 minutes. Cut torta into 4 wedges. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
This torta--Italian for tart, cake, or pie--makes a great vegetarian entrée.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
|Calories per serving:||459|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||29%|
|Fat per serving:||14.6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7.7g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.7g|
|Protein per serving:||23.1g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||59.6g|
|Fiber per serving:||3.7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||86mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||927mg|
|Calcium per serving:||533mg|