- 6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.
Note: Like most chilis, this version tastes even better the next day.
This all-American chili recipe is perfect for an outdoor cookout but can also be made on the stove for a comfort classic on a cold day.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chili and 1 tablespoon cheese)
|Calories per serving:||286|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||29%|
|Fat per serving:||7.5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||.4g|
|Protein per serving:||22.4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28.5g|
|Fiber per serving:||6.5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||48mg|
|Iron per serving:||5.1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||460mg|
|Calcium per serving:||169mg|