Fresh Mozzarella, Basil, and Chicken Sausage Pizza
- 1 pound fresh or frozen whole wheat pizza dough, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, pulled into 1-inch chunks
- 2 links (6 ounces total) precooked Italian chicken sausage (such as Applegate brand), sliced
1. Position one oven rack in middle of oven and another on the lowest setting. Place a flat baking sheet on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 475°.
2. Roll dough into a large, thin oval (about 18 inches long). Brush oil over dough.
3. Remove preheated baking sheet from oven. Slide dough onto sheet and return to bottom rack. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove crust from oven.
4. Meanwhile, clean hands, crush tomatoes, crushed red pepper, oregano, and 1/4 cup basil in a medium bowl.
5. Spread suace in an even layer over crust, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Top with mozzarella and sausage. Bake on middle rack an additional 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts. Sprinkle with remaining basil; cut into 12 slices or wedges and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time: Delicious mozzarella: check. Sausage: check. Spicy tomato sauce: check. Resistant starch: check! Finally, even dieters can have an amazing, pizzeria-style pie at home.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 2 slices of pizza)
|Calories per serving:||360|
|Fat per serving:||17.9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7.4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||51mg|
|Protein per serving:||17.2g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||32g|
|Sugars per serving:||1g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Sodium per serving:||322mg|