Walnut Mini Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pitted dates
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light unsulphured molasses
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup hole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 pound block-style cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350° and coat four 12-cup mini muffin tins with cooking spray.
2. Combine dates, brown sugar, molasses, butter, and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. When mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat, transfer to a heatproof bowl, and allow to come to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
3. Combine flours, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. When date mixture has cooled, place in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
5. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add the dry ingredients in two parts; stir until incorporated, but do not overmix. Stir in the walnuts.
6. Carefully spoon batter into prepared cupcake tins, filling each cup about 3⁄4 full. Bake for 10–12 minutes, or until a cake tester or knife inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
7. Cool cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack.
1. Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until smooth, about 3 minutes.
2. Add sugar, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla; beat until creamy.
3. When cupcakes have cooled, decorate with frosting and sprinkle tops generously with walnuts. (Use frosting immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours, but no longer, before using.)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 48 servings (1 servng: 1 cupcake)
|Calories per serving:||110|
|Fat per serving:||5.6g (sat 2.1g, mono 1.2g, poly 1.9g)|
|Cholesterol per serving:||13mg|
|Protein per serving:||1g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||14g|
|Sugars per serving:||10g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||69mg|
|Calcium per serving:||19mg|
Good to Know
Allysa Torey opened Magnolia Bakery in New York’s Greenwich Village in the summer of 1996. After ten successful years, she sold the business to spend more time with her growing family. She lives on a small farm in upstate New York with her two children, Wilson Henry and Audrey Jane, and spends her time cooking and writing.