Grilled Polenta Cakes
- 1 (18-ounce) tube polenta
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (you may have some left over)
- 1/4 cup whole basil leaves
- Pinch of koser salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Remove polenta from casing, cut into ten 1⁄2-inch slices (cakes), and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Brush both sides of polenta cakes with oil, and set aside.
3. Heat a grill pan over high heat until hot. Lay polenta cakes in one layer on the pan; grill for 8–10 minutes on each side or until both sides are golden and crunchy and have grill marks.
4. Remove cakes from the grill pan and let cool on a wire rack. Preheat the oven to 350°.
5. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange the grilled polenta cakes on the baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on each slice, then add 1–2 teaspoons Parmesan to each. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Garnish with basil, salt, and pepper. Serve warm.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 10 servings (1 serving: 1 cake)
|Calories per serving:||116|
|Fat per serving:||7g (sat 1.5g, mono 4.6g, poly 0.7g)|
|Cholesterol per serving:||4mg|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||10g|
|Sugars per serving:||1g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Iron per serving:||0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||387mg|
Good to Know
Cristina Ferrare is a New York Times best-selling author and host of her own cooking show, Cristina Ferrare’s Big Bowl of Love, on OWN (the Oprah Winfrey Network). She has a home decor company, Ferrare with Company, and a retail shop, Marquette Home.