Coq au Vin
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 5
- Yield: Serves: 8 (serving size: 1 thigh, 1/2 cup cooked vegetables, about 1/4 cup sauce)
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lb. total), skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 8 ounces peeled pearl onions (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 4 cups baby arugula, for serving, optional
1. In a slow cooker, combine carrots, mushroom slices and bay leaves.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and thyme. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to bowl with flour mixture and toss until evenly coated. In a large skillet, warm 2 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
3. Add tomato paste and wine to skillet and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, until boiling steadily, about 1 minute. Pour over chicken. Scatter onions on top. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 3 to 5 hours.
4. Remove and discard bay leaves. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to shallow bowls. Carefully pour sauce from slow cooker into a fat separator. Pour skimmed sauce over chicken; discard fat. Top with baby arugula, if desired.
- Calories per serving327
- Fat per serving9
- Saturated fat per serving2
- Monounsaturated fat per serving0.0
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving0.0
- Protein per serving35
- Carbohydrates per serving14
- Fiber per serving2
- Cholesterol per serving162
- Iron per serving2
- Sodium per serving528
- Calcium per serving52