Ginger and Carrot Soup
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 2
- Yield: Serves: 8 (serving size: 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 pounds carrots (10 to 12), sliced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges for garnish, optional
- 1 cup plain yogurt (not nonfat)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Warm oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Raise heat to medium-high; stir in carrots. Pour broth into pot, cover and bring to a simmer. Remove cover, reduce heat to medium to maintain a simmer and cook until carrots are very tender, about 25 minutes. Remove soup from heat and let cool slightly.
3. Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
4. Just before serving, stir in lime juice and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chilled, garnished with lime wedges, if desired.
- Calories per serving114
- Fat per serving5
- Saturated fat per serving1
- Monounsaturated fat per serving0.0
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving0.0
- Protein per serving2
- Carbohydrates per serving17
- Fiber per serving4
- Cholesterol per serving4
- Iron per serving1
- Sodium per serving489
- Calcium per serving95