- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 55
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 pepper plus 1/2 cup sauce)
Good to Know
This dish is fiber-packed—more than one-third of your daily amount. Your metabolism will get a kick from the chili powder, too.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups barley, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 1/8 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 2 ounces reduced-fat white cheddar, grated (1/2 cup)
- 3 slices reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled pasteurized queso fresco
1. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft (5-7 minutes). Add barley and 3 3/4 cups water and cook until barley is tender (about 30 minutes). Stir kale and 1/8 teaspoon chili powder into barley until kale is wilted; mix in cheddar.
2. Meanwhile, in a heavy pot, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens (about 30 minutes). Turn heat to low; cover.
3. Preheat broiler with rack in middle position. Slice off stems from peppers to make a wide hole for stuffing; reserve stems. Using a small knife, carefully remove membranes and seeds. Stuff peppers tightly with barley mixture; return stem ends to top of peppers. Place in a large, broiler-proof baking dish; broil until peppers are charred and soft (20 minutes), turning once halfway through. Add tomato sauce to pan around peppers; cover each pepper with 1/2 slice Monterey Jack. Broil until cheese melts (1-2 minutes). Transfer peppers to plates with sauce; top each with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon queso fresco.
- Calories per serving382
- Fat per serving12.3
- Saturated fat per serving3.8
- Monounsaturated fat per serving6.1
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving1.4
- Protein per serving15
- Carbohydrates per serving58
- Fiber per serving13
- Cholesterol per serving14
- Iron per serving4
- Sodium per serving429
- Calcium per serving298