Caramelized Onion-Veggie Burger
- Prep Time: Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 8 burgers (serving size: 1 burger)
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 whole-grain buns
- 8 tomato slices (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Pulse first 3 ingredients in food processor until finely chopped.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a skillet; turn down to medium, and cook onion, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add mushroom mixture, and cook, stirring, about 2-3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, and let cool.
3. Stir cooled mushroom mixture into lentils, and combine with next 3 ingredients (through salt) until well-combined. Form mixture into 6 patties (about 1/2 cup each). Put cornmeal on a shallow plate, and coat burgers evenly.
4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and cook burgers about 3 minutes or until golden brown on underside. Flip burgers, and top with cheese. Cook about 3 minutes more or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve burgers on buns topped with tomato and basil, if desired.
- Calories per serving: 337
- Fat per serving: 8g
- Saturated fat per serving: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat per serving: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 2g
- Protein per serving: 14g
- Carbohydrate per serving: 53g
- Fiber per serving: 6g
- Cholesterol per serving: 32mg
- Iron per serving: 3mg
- Sodium per serving: 653mg
- Calcium per serving: 108mg