Adobo-marinated Grass-fed Flank Steak With Spinach Salad
- Prep Time: Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 3 cups spinach and 4 ounces steak)
- For the steak
- 1 pound grass-fed flank, skirt, or strip steak (about 1/2-inch-thick)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the salad
- 2 ears shucked corn
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped peeled jícama, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 12 ounces baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup diced bottled roasted red peppers
- 1 diced peeled avocado
- 1 ounce queso fresco, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Place steak in shallow dish. Whisk together next 5 ingredients (through garlic). Pour marinade over steak, and coat both sides. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Prepare medium-high grill, or set grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat corn with cooking spray; grill about 5 minutes or until well-marked on all sides. Remove from grill, and let cool. Cut kernels from ears with a sharp knife; set aside.
3. Remove steak from marinade, season both sides with salt. Grill 2–3 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 145° (for medium rare). Transfer to cutting board; let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
4. Toss jícama with lime juice. Put spinach in a large bowl. Add roasted peppers, reserved corn, jícama, avocado, and queso fresco. Toss with bottled Southwestern-style dressing (or our Roasted Poblano Dressing; get the recipe at Health.com/poblano).
5. Thinly slice steak against the grain. Divide salad among 4 plates, arranging steak on top. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve.
- Calories per serving: 386
- Fat per serving: 15g
- Saturated fat per serving: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat per serving: 8g
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 2g
- Protein per serving: 30g
- Carbohydrate per serving: 36g
- Fiber per serving: 14g
- Cholesterol per serving: 51mg
- Iron per serving: 6mg
- Sodium per serving: 649mg
- Calcium per serving: 111mg