Easy French Toast Casserole
This easy french toast casserole is a rich and decadent addition to any breakfast or brunch table. If you don''t want to use the orange liqueur, you can substitute 1 to 2 teaspoons of orange juice.
- Yield: 6 servings
Good to Know
This festive, low-fat brunch dish tastes just as good without Grand Marnier, but testers say the pecans are a must.
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 large eggs
- 6 (1 1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread
- 6 tablespoons frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (orange-flavored liqueur)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, toasted
Combine first 3 ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes or until bubbly and sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Pour sugar mixture into bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Set aside; cool completely.
Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (through eggs) in a large shallow bowl; stir with a whisk. Dip 1 bread slice in milk mixture; arrange bread slice over sugar mixture in dish. Repeat procedure with remaining 5 bread slices. Pour any remaining egg mixture over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
While casserole bakes, combine whipped topping and Grand Marnier. Place 1 bread slice, caramel side up, on each of 6 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon topping and 1 teaspoon pecans.
- Calories per serving352
- Calories per serving23
- Fat per serving8.8
- Saturated fat per serving3.5
- Monounsaturated fat per serving2.8
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving0.9
- Protein per serving11.1
- Carbohydrates per serving58.1
- Fiber per serving1.2
- Cholesterol per serving83
- Iron per serving2.6
- Sodium per serving466
- Calcium per serving191