Easy French Toast Casserole
- Yield: 6 servings
Good to Know
This festive, low-fat brunch dish tastes just as good without Grand Marnier, but testers say the pecans are a must.
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 large eggs
- 6 (1 1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread
- 6 tablespoons frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (orange-flavored liqueur)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, toasted
Watch the video: How to Make Easy French Toast Casserole
Combine first 3 ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes or until bubbly and sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Pour sugar mixture into bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Set aside; cool completely.
Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (through eggs) in a large shallow bowl; stir with a whisk. Dip 1 bread slice in milk mixture; arrange bread slice over sugar mixture in dish. Repeat procedure with remaining 5 bread slices. Pour any remaining egg mixture over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
While casserole bakes, combine whipped topping and Grand Marnier. Place 1 bread slice, caramel side up, on each of 6 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon topping and 1 teaspoon pecans.
- Calories per serving: 352
- Caloriesfromfat per serving: 23%
- Fat per serving: 8.8g
- Saturated fat per serving: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat per serving: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 0.9g
- Protein per serving: 11.1g
- Carbohydrate per serving: 58.1g
- Fiber per serving: 1.2g
- Cholesterol per serving: 83mg
- Iron per serving: 2.6mg
- Sodium per serving: 466mg
- Calcium per serving: 191mg