Overnight Caramel French Toast
This decadent French toast with caramel gets lightened but without losing the rich flavor everyone loves. And more good news: It can be made the night before and popped in the oven the next morning.
- Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 piece)
Good to Know
Perfect for a holiday brunch, this irresistible baked French toast is prepared the night before and goes straight from the fridge to the oven. Try using thick slices of whole-grain bread for a fiber boost.
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- Cooking spray
- 10 (1-ounce) slices French bread (soft bread such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly, stirring constantly. Pour mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Arrange bread slices in a single layer over syrup in dish.
Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over bread.
Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories per serving314
- Calories per serving21
- Fat per serving7.2
- Saturated fat per serving3.2
- Monounsaturated fat per serving2.8
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving0.6
- Protein per serving6.2
- Carbohydrates per serving57.4
- Fiber per serving1.1
- Cholesterol per serving57
- Iron per serving1.6
- Sodium per serving360
- Calcium per serving128