Pickled Ginger Cucumbers
Prep: 6 minutes; Chill: 30 minutes. Asian cooks often make a simple sweet-and-sour pickle by tossing cucumbers in vinegar and sugar. I like to add a little pickled ginger for unexpected flavor.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Good to KnowSpice up traditional cucumbers for a fresh, crisp Asian-style salad. In addition, ginger is known for easing stomach pains.
- 2 pounds English or pickling cucumbers, halved and diagonally cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 4 tablespoons drained, matchstick-cut pickled ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Place cucumber slices in bowl. Combine pickled ginger and all remaining ingredients; add to cucumbers, and toss gently to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes. Serve cold.
- Calories per serving: 84
- Fat per serving: 0.0g
- Saturated fat per serving: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat per serving: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 0.0g
- Protein per serving: 2g
- Carbohydrate per serving: 20g
- Fiber per serving: 2g
- Cholesterol per serving: 0.0mg
- Iron per serving: 1mg
- Sodium per serving: 263mg
- Calcium per serving: 44mg