ALT (Avocado, Lettuce, and Tomato) Sandwiches
These easy sandwich stackers feature layers of sliced avocado, sliced tomato, lettuce, sliced cucumbers, and Swiss cheese. They're perfect for a summer supper.
- Prep Time:
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
Good to KnowA healthier version of the BLT, this sandwich is nutrient-rich. Avocados are fattening, but they provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Avocados are also high in fiber. They can be used as healthy baking and cooking alternatives for butter and shortening.
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 8 (1-ounce) slices whole-grain bread with flaxseed, toasted
- 4 large leaves romaine or Boston lettuce
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 sliced peeled avocado
- 12 very thin slices cucumber
- 4 (.77-ounce) slices reduced-fat, reduced-sodium Swiss cheese (such as Alpine Lace)
1. Spread mayonnaise on the 8 slices of bread.
2. Layer 4 slices with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice tomato, 1 slice avocado, 3 slices cucumber, and 1 slice cheese; top with remaining bread slices. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally.
- Calories per serving: 305
- Fat per serving: 16g
- Saturated fat per serving: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat per serving: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 2g
- Protein per serving: 12g
- Carbohydrate per serving: 32g
- Fiber per serving: 7g
- Cholesterol per serving: 20mg
- Iron per serving: 2mg
- Sodium per serving: 359mg
- Calcium per serving: 230mg