Broccoli Salad with Sesame Dressing and Cashews
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
Good to KnowFor a low-sodium dish, this broccoli salad packs on the flavor. With 44 milligrams of sodium, there's really no need to choose unsalted cashews. Broccoli is loaded with vitamin C and fiber.
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, woody ends trimmed
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 tablespoon sultana (golden) raisins, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped salted cashews
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice-wine vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
Rinse broccoli rabe well, and steam just until tender but still bright green, about 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse in a colander beneath cold running water. Drain well, and wrap in a clean tea towel to absorb excess water. Chop into small pieces.
Cut broccoli florets from stems, and then cut into small (1/2-inch) pieces. Steam just until tender but still bright green, about 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse in a colander beneath cold running water. Drain well, and wrap in a clean tea towel to absorb excess water.
Place rabe and broccoli florets in a large bowl with raisins and cashews. Whisk together the oils, vinegar, garlic, and cayenne. Drizzle over salad, and lightly toss. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Calories per serving101
- Fat per serving6
- Saturated fat per serving1
- Monounsaturated fat per serving2
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving2
- Protein per serving4
- Carbohydrates per serving10
- Fiber per serving1
- Cholesterol per serving0.0
- Iron per serving1
- Sodium per serving44
- Calcium per serving56