For a lighter version, substitute olive oil for the butter, and replace the heavy cream with either milk or half-and-half. If you don't want to use sherry, add 2 additional tablespoons of broth.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
Good to KnowThe use of unsalted butter and low-sodium broth make this recipe perfect for those watching their salt intake. If you’re looking to cut down on fat, use only the white meat.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli crowns, cut into long spears
- 3 cups turkey (light and dark meat, shredded into large pieces), warmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup presliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups homemade turkey broth or low-sodium canned broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook broccoli about 5 minutes, or until tender; drain. Butter a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish; arrange broccoli across the bottom. Top with turkey; cover with foil to keep warm.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onions and mushrooms until golden brown (add a little broth if mixture seems dry). Add flour, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 3 to 5 minutes, or until thick. Stir in sherry; cook 1 minute. Add cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan; simmer 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, arrange a rack 6 inches below the heat source, and preheat the broiler to high. Pour sauce over turkey. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and almonds. Broil for 1 minute, or until the sauce bubbles and the almonds are golden brown.
- Calories per serving320
- Fat per serving18
- Saturated fat per serving8
- Monounsaturated fat per serving6
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving3
- Protein per serving28
- Carbohydrates per serving12
- Fiber per serving4
- Cholesterol per serving83
- Iron per serving3
- Sodium per serving238
- Calcium per serving184