Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
These peppery-sweet potatoes are delicious with roasted meats. Cooking them at a high heat makes their interior tender just as the sugar-and-spice coating begins to caramelize and brown the outside.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 wedges)
Good to Know
These peppery sweet potatoes complement a variety of roasted meats, and just one serving supplies all your daily vitamin A and one-third of your daily vitamin C. Baking them at high heat ensures a soft interior and slightly crisp and caramelized exterior without all the added fat of frying. Leave the skins on for added fiber.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 500°.
Peel potatoes; cut each lengthwise into quarters. Place potatoes in a large bowl; coat with cooking spray. Combine sugar, salt, and peppers, and sprinkle over potatoes, tossing well to coat. Arrange potatoes, cut sides down, in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 500° for 10 minutes; turn wedges over. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown.
- Calories per serving153
- Calories per serving2
- Fat per serving0.4
- Saturated fat per serving0.1
- Monounsaturated fat per serving0.0
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving0.2
- Protein per serving2.4
- Carbohydrates per serving35.5
- Fiber per serving2.3
- Cholesterol per serving0.0
- Iron per serving0.9
- Sodium per serving166
- Calcium per serving31