- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 4 ounces chicken and about 1 tablespoon jus)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 quart apple cider
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (6-pound) roasting chicken
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 4 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves. Remove from heat; cool completely. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Pour brine into a 2-gallon zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning the bag occasionally.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Bring 2 cups cider to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until cider has thickened and reduced to 1/4 cup (about 15 minutes). Set aside.
Remove chicken from bag; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Place the onion halves, parsley, and garlic into cavity. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Tie legs. Place chicken on rack of a broiler pan. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 175°. Remove from oven (do not turn oven off). Carefully remove and discard skin. Baste chicken with half of reduced cider; return to 400° oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; baste with remaining cider reduction. Transfer chicken to a platter.
Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Serve jus over chicken.
- Calories per serving: 224
- Caloriesfromfat per serving: 29%
- Fat per serving: 7.1g
- Saturated fat per serving: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat per serving: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 1.7g
- Protein per serving: 26.9g
- Carbohydrate per serving: 11.3g
- Fiber per serving: 0.4g
- Cholesterol per serving: 80mg
- Iron per serving: 1.4mg
- Sodium per serving: 452mg
- Calcium per serving: 26mg