Grilled Chicken and Wheat-Berry Salad
- Yield: serves 16
Good to KnowThis salad is a great way to get your fill of vegetables, fruits, and protein all at once. The yogurt dressing also provides calcium, which is vital to bone health.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup hard winter wheat berries, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, divided
- 1 cup green apple, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a simmer; cover and cook for 2 hours, 15 minutes or until wheat berries are almost tender. Drain and place in a bowl; discard bay leaf. Coarsely chop 1 cup spinach leaves. Add chopped spinach, apple, bell pepper, dressing, and mustard to the wheat berries, and toss well.
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Thinly slice chicken.
Divide remaining spinach evenly among 4 plates. Place 1/2 cup wheat-berry mixture on top of spinach. Arrange chicken evenly over berry mixture; sprinkle with green onions.
- Calories per serving: 332
- Caloriesfromfat per serving: 31%
- Fat per serving: 12g
- Saturated fat per serving: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat per serving: 6.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 1.4g
- Protein per serving: 29g
- Carbohydrate per serving: 30.1g
- Fiber per serving: 3g
- Cholesterol per serving: 63mg
- Iron per serving: 4mg
- Sodium per serving: 792mg
- Calcium per serving: 113mg