Curried Carrot, Sweet Potato, and Ginger Soup
This soup gets its wonderfully creamy texture from purèed carrots and sweet potatoes rather than cream, a dairy product Willett discourages due to its high saturated-fat content.
- Yield: serves 5 (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
Good to Know
Don't worry about saturated fat or cholesterol with this creamy soup. Carrots and sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, which promotes healthy vision. Add whole grain crackers for fiber and dipping.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups (1/4-inch) sliced peeled carrots
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add potato, carrots, ginger, and curry; cook 2 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stir in salt.
Pour half of soup in a food processor; pulse until smooth. Repeat procedure with remaining soup.
- Calories per serving144
- Calories per serving14
- Fat per serving2.3
- Saturated fat per serving0.2
- Monounsaturated fat per serving1.1
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving0.7
- Protein per serving4.1
- Carbohydrates per serving27.3
- Fiber per serving3.9
- Cholesterol per serving0.0
- Iron per serving1.1
- Sodium per serving531
- Calcium per serving38