Your passion for healthy living brought you here - let's keep talking!

Sign up for our FREE Healthy Living newsletter to get the latest health news, nutrition tips, special offers, and delicious recipes from Health.com

X

Eating Moldy Food: When It's OK, When It's Not

Moldy food is a fact of life. Even if you do everything right, like refrigerating food promptly, mold can still show up in your favorite fare.
moldy-food-safe

Credit: Getty Images

prev1 of 18

Ewwww...gross!

by Sarah Klein

Even if you refrigerate promptly, moldy food is still a fact of life.

But is it safe to eat? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. "The average person doesn’t know which mold is harmful," says Michael P. Doyle, PhD, the director of the Center for Food Safety at the University of Georgia, in Athens, Ga.

Mold can cause allergic reactions and produce toxic substances called mycotoxins and aflatoxins. This guide, adapted from the USDA, can help you decide if a moldy food is safe to eat.

Next: Hot dogs

Previous
Next
» View All

Get the latest health, fitness, anti-aging, and nutrition news, plus special offers, insights and updates from Health.com!

More Ways to Connect with Health
Advertisement