Holiday Health Myths: Sugar, Suicides, and Cold-Weather Clothes
Myth: Poinsettias are toxic
A 1996 analysis of 22,793 poinsettia cases reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers revealed no significant poisoning.
It's possible to become ill by consuming a large amount of the plant, but it’s rare, even in small children and pets, says Edward Krenzelok, PharmD, director of the Pittsburgh Poison Control Center and Drug Information Center at the University of Pittsburgh.
Some studies suggest that poinsettia sap can be irritating to the skin.