Last updated: Jan 15, 2009
How to Use Steam to Ease Pain, Fight Colds
Get relief from the winter chill View slideshow
While they might feel heroic, sick employees who come to worka phenomenon known as presenteeismcan actually hurt companies. Even if youre not scheduled to scrub into the ER and save lives, you can still endanger others by showing up for work in a cloud of germs.
How to call in sick
Dont feel guilty if you decide to stay home. If youre miserable, youll be doing your boss, coworkers, and yourself a favor by skipping an unproductive, germ-spreading day in the workplace.
- Speak with a boss or supervisor on the phonedont send an emailas early in the day as possible.
- Make sure to apologize for the inconvenience.
- Keep the call short and to the point; your manager doesn't need to know all the gory details.
- Dont resort to fake coughs or talking while bent over the toilet; theres no need to oversell it.
- Keep in mind that the more often you're absent on Mondays and Fridays, the more suspicious it will seem.
Regardless of how conscientious you are, be prepared for a healthy dose of skepticism from your manager. He or she has probably heard every excuse in the book. One-third of workers have taken a day off when they weren't really sick, according to a survey of more than 6,800 employees conducted by CareerBuilder.com.
Use Echinacea Like a Pro
How to make the herb work for you Read more
More about cold, flu, and sinus