- Try genericsWhy this helps: There are generic versions of Glucophage (metformin), and some of the sulfonylureas (insulin-producing drugs) are available in generic form as well.
- Call aroundWhy this helps: Prices vary widely among different medications and often from one pharmacy to the next. Call around and see which pharmacies offer the best deals.
- Research blood-sugar monitors
- Get mail-order discountsWhy this helps: Some insurers offer discounts of as much as 33% on co-pays if you order a 90-day supply through the mail rather than refill your prescriptions at a retail pharmacy each month. This can result in considerable savings for insulin as well as medications such as Byetta. Ask your insurance provider what mail-order discounts, if any, are available through your health plan.
- Lose weightWhy this helps: Studies show that blood-sugar levels and insulin resistance can decrease with weight loss. Getting rid of excess weight may reduce your need for medication, therefore reducing your expenses.
5 Ways to Cut Diabetes Costs