Not up to sifting through the 2,000-page health-care bill? (We didn't think so!) Here's what you can expect and when. (For more info, go to HealthReform.gov.)
Can't get insurance because of a pre-existing health condition? You may qualify for a new, affordable federal plan.
As of September:
• Your insurance company can no longer drop you from your health-care plan if you get sick.
• Insurance carriers must cover preventive screenings, such as breast exams, mammograms, and Pap smears.
• A child cannot be denied health coverage because of a pre-existing condition.
• It will be illegal for insurers to charge women higher premiums simply for being female.
• Insurance companies will no longer be able to deny you coverage for pre-existing conditions-including a previous C-section or injuries caused by domestic abuse.
• All insurance carriers will be required to cover maternity care.
• New moms can rest easier because providers will be required to cover newborn care and pediatric services, as well as screening for postpartum depression.