Your favorite yoga or running shoes may not be your favorite for long if exercise leaves them malodorous. Here are our tips on how to staunch the stench:
- Wear socks made primarily of thin wool (we like SmartWool, Tekosocks, and Darn Tough Vermont), which wick sweat but wont smell like other synthetics.
- Add antimicrobial sock liners with carbon filters.
- Remove sock liners after each outing and sprinkle a small amount of baking soda inside each shoe.
- Wipe shoes clean with a damp cloth, and scrub with a toothbrush and gentle detergent. Never put them in the washer or dryer.
- To dry, stuff with newspapers to retain shape.