It's perfect for your next brunch.
Looking for a sweet and savory dish to jazz up your brunch menu? How about a dish that's something like a traditional western omelet meets bread pudding? This bread pudding recipe uses French or Hawaiian bread, which is toasted to give if a firmer texture that won't get mushy when you add the milk and eggs. Watch the video for the recipe and step-by-step demonstration. Even Sam-I-Am would be egg-cited to try this.
RELATED: Ham, Sliced Pear and Swiss Sandwich
1 1/4 cups chopped green onions
3/4 cup chopped ham (about 3 ounces)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
7 (1-oz.) Hawaiian bread rolls, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 3/4 cups fat-free milk
3/4 cup egg substitute
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
RELATED: Ham and Swiss Stuffed Burgers
1. Heat a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onions, ham, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350°.
3. Arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally.
4. Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through nutmeg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Stir in ham mixture. Add bread, tossing gently to coat.
5. Arrange half of bread mixture in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of cheese; top with remaining bread mixture.
6. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake an additional 20 minutes or until set.
RELATED: Swiss Enchiladas
Calories per serving: 353
Calories from fat per serving: 30%
Fat per serving: 11.9g
Saturated fat per serving: 5.7g
Monounsaturated fat per serving: 3.9g
Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 1.1g
Protein per serving: 23.9g
Carbohydrate per serving: 35.9g
Fiber per serving: 1.4g
Cholesterol per serving: 50mg
Iron per serving: 2.9mg
Sodium per serving: 2.9mg
Calcium per serving: 384mg