You know what always tastes great? Dessert.
But you know what doesn’t feel so great? Attempting to squeeze yourself into that itsy-bitsy bikini the night before you enjoy the first beach trip of summer.
Of course, you could choose one over the other … but that’s no fun. Instead, why not enjoy both (minus the squeezing part)?
Turns out you can have your cake and eat it too — or in this case, a similarly creamy, chocolaty treat that will keep you feeling fuller and satisfied longer. Don’t think it’s possible? Just ask food blogger and cookbook author Danielle Walker, who’s whipped up a dish that delivers on all fronts, and is just too irresistible to pass up.
“A misconception about nutritious eating is that you can’t enjoy delicious desserts,” says Walker. “When you are craving a decadent treat but want to stay on track, whip up my layered chia and almond pudding parfait.”
Loaded with a medley of juicy berries, sliced bananas, dates, raw cacao powder, and chia seeds to keep your cravings in check, you really can’t go wrong with this tantalizing (and surprisingly healthy) frozen pudding.
“It can be made the day before — just let it chill in the fridge overnight,” adds Walker. “You can also cut up all the berries and bananas the night before (or morning of) with a little lemon juice, so the fruit doesn’t turn brown.”
Swimsuit season doesn’t sound so scary after all. Take a breather and enjoy your new favorite dish.
- Cooking method: Blend, freeze
- Category: Dessert
- Level: Easy
- Yield: 6 Parfaits
- 2 tsps. unflavored gelatin powder
- 2 cups unflavored almond milk
- 6 oz. pitted dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsps. sea salt
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/3 cup unsalted natural almond butter
- 1 cup mixed berries of choice
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- Pour 3/4 cup water into a saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over top. Turn the burner to med-high heat and whisk until the gelatin is fully dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine almond milk, dates, cacao powder, chia seeds, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt in a blender. Blend until very smooth, about two minutes. With the blender running, slowly pour in the gelatin liquid. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To assemble the parfaits: Divide the banana slices between six 8-ounce Mason jars or bowls. Spoon equal amounts of almond bitter into the jars, then top with equal amounts of the chilled pudding. Top with berries and almonds and serve immediately or refrigerate covered for up to three days.
More from Fox News Magazine:
|Fox News Magazine is the official lifestyle magazine of Fox News, covering love, relationships, style, beauty, food, nutrition, fitness, décor and design. Get more tips at Fox News Magazine.|